It only happens twenty-five times in each century, that odd day on the calendar, 29 February. What a great opportunity to sneak in some postal history to your mail art this year.

At the end of this month, Monday, 29 February 2016, you can gather your out-going mail art, get yourself over to your local post office and ask those nice people at the counter to hand cancel your cards and letters with the station's unique hand cancellation mark with the date.

Ready to make the leap?

Views: 476

Replies to This Discussion

And I am happy to have received this new round stamp from the USA today (I love this moon), thanks to FinnBadger:

Which came with not only one, but even also a second '29 February' postmark! 

OH NO Heleen, mine wasn't cancelled the 29th.  What a pain.

Ouch, yes! :-)
Shall I cut out the stamp and return it to you so you can re-use it and give the post office a change to repair their miscancelling? Or shall I keep your artwork, complete, knowing that only me and you know that this mail art was meant to be cancelled on Leap Day?
Meanwhile I counted not two, but even three 29 Feb postmarks on FinnBadger's mail! Seems that USPS is compensating La Poste, who of course became confused by all postmarks on the back (or front?) of your, Dean's, mail art!

from Crackerjack Kid, stamped on 29-2-2016!

The 29 Feb 2016 Heleen de Vaan sending

French post unfortunately got so confused that they forgot to add a 29 Feb postmark... (as shown in my post of 9 March here).

Thanks again, Dean!

RSS

Support

Want to support the IUOMA with a financial gift via PayPal?

The money will be used to keep the IUOMA-platform alive. Current donations keep platform online till 1-july-2024. If you want to donate to get IUOMA-publications into archives and museums please mention this with your donation. It will then be used to send some hardcopy books into museums and archives. You can order books yourself too at the IUOMA-Bookshop. That will sponsor the IUOMA as well.

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

© 2024   Created by Ruud Janssen.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service