Does anyone have any stories, anecdotes, facts or anything at all on the subject of how the post office(s) and the post men and women view (or don't view) mailart. Anyone have any interesting or funny stories on this topic? I'd enjoy hearing them.

Views: 689

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Mail Art friends:  As you may have noticed in the US media outlets, the US Postal Service is "studying" 3600 post offices in the most rural parts of the country for possible closure.  The study is a formality.  There are also several hundred already in the pipeline not included in that number.  In a few months they will be gone.  I would encourage you to visit these small town gems while they exist or get a postmark from one.  I'm sending a postcard for franking to Veribest, TX 76886.  Towns like Home, Kansas (66438), Timber, Oregon (97144) and Daisy, Georgia (30423).  USPS.COM has the list in it's public affairs section.
i've had wonderful interactions with the post office workers and mail carriers in general most of the time, they enjoy seeing the decorated envelopes and are often more worried about 'ruining' the piece more than i .
this year after my mail carrier stopped me while walking my dogs and asked about mail art, i made her a nice piece and left it with my outgoing bundle. she was so happy and she left me a thank you note on my door. i think mail art is a nice artistic 'shake up' for the everyday blues.
cheers from california

RSS

Support

Want to support the IUOMA with a financial gift via PayPal?

The money will be used to keep the IUOMA-platform alive. Current donations keep platform online till 1-july-2024. If you want to donate to get IUOMA-publications into archives and museums please mention this with your donation. It will then be used to send some hardcopy books into museums and archives. You can order books yourself too at the IUOMA-Bookshop. That will sponsor the IUOMA as well.

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

© 2024   Created by Ruud Janssen.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service