Does anyone have any stories, anecdotes, facts or anything at all on the subject of how the post office(s) and the post men and women view (or don't view) mailart. Anyone have any interesting or funny stories on this topic? I'd enjoy hearing them.

Views: 560

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love the fact that people find it so weird that people still communciate in this way. For most people seeing mailart, I find that they are amazed that people would create such beautiful work for strangers. They wonder why people would put in the time and effort. I think that's what is appealing for me though. The fact that people take the time and put in the effort makes mailart the personal medium it is.
in italy post offices become more and more suspicious and interested to profits, as they make a sort of bank services too, so the employes receive money incentives and strain to push expensive services (1-3 day delivery for exemple) and have no much time and desire to "joke"... strange envelopes are a loss of time...(at the very least). This is the main situation, but of course there are exception, and we are looking for these, isn't it? I will send a baby duck back home to Belgium, one similar to this I received years ago....it had a small rope around the neck in order to reach the minimum length for shipment, I guess....and my address written on the bellyi found it hanged on the gateway and I was grateful to all who allowed the journey of the small duck
Grazie linda.....good luck with the duck!

apropos of this discussion...check this out....

http://observatory.designobserver.com/entry.html?entry=23568

That was great....thank you David.

No problem for your English Janine....it's much better than my French even if it is my second language.

I"m very surprised to hear you're having this stamp problem....in Switzerland of all places! I've received many pieces of mailart from Switzerland and they always arrive with real stamps, not barcodes. Can't you simply purchase the stamps and put them on yourself....at home?

Anyway, thanks for sharing your story.

Peter

What a pain the modern world is! This would never have happened with the pony express.

Janine,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pony_Express

Je déteste la mécanisation de tout. La poésie est détruite.
I did not realize there is a U.S. Postal Service definition of a "post card" until my postal carrier took the time to step out of his truck and walk up to my front door to set me straight. He was very polite as he informed me that in the world of the U.S. Postal Service, a postcard is a horizontal (as opposed to a vertical) axis image. As many of my postcards were sent as verticals and as most of them didn't have my return address on them, they were "delivered" to the trash bin at the post office.   

Douglas.....I would check out that story from another source....something doesn't ring true here. If you've put sufficient postage on them they should get through (much more awkward things than a vertical postcard make it through all the time) I receive vertical cards from the US all the time (ex: Test Tower, Stan Askew) If the USPS started "trashing" the mail I don't think they'd last very long.....my 2 cents.

Peter

Peter....

The story I received explained that postcards (in my area) are run through a machine that, I'm guessing, verifies postage, etc. As the card goes into the machine, if the axis is vertical, the machine does not identify the presence of the stamp as it is not in the upper right corner. Maybe the vertical cards you have received were hand canceled or maybe they were mailed from a non-machined postal site or maybe I got the story wrong.

Best wishes....

D

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Want to support the IUOMA with a financial gift via PayPal?

The money will be used to keep the IUOMA-platform alive. Current donations keep platform online till 1-oct-2020.   If you want to donate to get IUOMA-publications into archives and museums please mention this with your donation. It will then be used to send some hardcopy books into museums and archives. You can order books yourself too at the IUOMA-Bookshop. That will sponsor the IUOMA as well.

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

© 2019   Created by Ruud Janssen.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service