walker art center exhibition on fluxus: "art expanded, 1958-1978"

was curious whether any of you had caught this exhibition at the walker in minneapolis. it draws from their own collection of fluxus works and ephemera, including extensive materials relating to some of allan kaprow's happenings (particularly one staged in some of the caves in saint paul).

there were so many amazing things to see - flux kits, films, all manner of works & ephemera, installation recreations of happenings, even gallery feedback from visitors to the museum during a fluxus exhibit in the 1970s. it was amazing to see a nam june paik piece i was very affected by as a child in physical/visual/sensory context with other fluxus works. i actually visited the exhibit twice while i was home over the holidays just to catch it all - but no mention of correspondence art was present, which i found disappointing (at least, none that i spotted, and i was combing it pretty closely over my two visits - it was probably the only disappointment of the exhibition, it's a really good one).

have any of you had the chance to see this? it closes in a couple of weeks. what do you think about the omission of correspondence/postal art and networks? i'm curious to know what you think! it could be because the walker didn't have much related to it in their collection, or it could be that there are too many threads of fluxism to explore.

http://www.walkerart.org/calendar/2014/art-expanded-19581978

here's my friend krista & i in the room housing a recreation of the john cage installation 33-1/3 – Performed by Audience. the room is lined with newspaper-based works by robert rauschenberg and the giant circular mirror overseeing it all is a prop from a merce cunningham production (i think designed by rauschenberg, but i can't remember for sure).

Views: 108

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

allison, maybe the FLUXUS correspondence part is too hard to pin down, because it is so diverse, across so many geographical locations as well as the conceptual part

I wish I could have seen the show - the first FLUXUS exhibit I saw was in 1978 or so at the Contemporary Art Museum in Houston.  It did not feature any singular artists, it consisted entirely of ephemera in glass cases about waist high.  Very influential to my artistic sensibilities!  I realized Somebody put on an exhibit about Nobody and Everybody.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Want to support the IUOMA with a financial gift via PayPal?

The money will be used to keep the IUOMA-platform alive. Current donations keep platform online till 1-oct-2020.   If you want to donate to get IUOMA-publications into archives and museums please mention this with your donation. It will then be used to send some hardcopy books into museums and archives. You can order books yourself too at the IUOMA-Bookshop. That will sponsor the IUOMA as well.

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

© 2019   Created by Ruud Janssen.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service