Have any of you read The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon? I've recently read it, and have been creating a sizeable amount of art based on it. It is very related to mail, specifically unofficial mail  carrier organizations within the US. A good read for anyone interested in postmodern lit or mail-related arts. 

Anyway, If any of you have read it, please send me a message and I will send some art your way. I'd also be very open to discussing the book with anyone who desires that. 

Views: 123

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LIGMA, I'm glad you brought up The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon. I agree w. what you say. The book has avant approaches you see in a lot of mail art (Ray Johnson was on some level pomo) and the book is about the postal system. It also has the paranoid quality of Neoism.

The Crying of Lot 49 has come up in discussions here at IUOMA before. But I am surprised it is not more iconic among m-a folks.

You definitely make some good observations here.

read it. I have read many books by TP. right now mid way through 'Against the Day'

This book is the subject of the Letter Writers Alliance bookclub next month:

https://letterwriters.org/collections/events/products/book-club

It's not my usual genre of book but I read it recently and found myself initially bewildered then eventually sort of understood what was going on. It's not the type of text you read to understand, you splash about in a sea of words and some of them soak in.

I looked at some of the reviews on Amazon. Sounds really interesting. Thanks for the suggestion. 

RSS

Support

Want to support the IUOMA with a financial gift via PayPal?

The money will be used to keep the IUOMA-platform alive. Current donations keep platform online till 1-july-2024. If you want to donate to get IUOMA-publications into archives and museums please mention this with your donation. It will then be used to send some hardcopy books into museums and archives. You can order books yourself too at the IUOMA-Bookshop. That will sponsor the IUOMA as well.

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

© 2024   Created by Ruud Janssen.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service