Yesterday I was floating around the Record Store Day website looking for limited releases coming out on that day. At the bottom of the page I noticed a trailer for a movie about independent British record stores. As I watched all of the talking heads flash on the screen, Johnny Marr appeared. On his jacket he had a button, and on that jacket was a Ray Johnson bunny pin.

I wasn't sure what to make of this? Is he a fan of mail-art, does he do mail-art, or is he just that cool?

You can see the pin at 2:19 in the trailer for the documentary Last Shop Standing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBTMe8p_Pxw

Views: 607

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, that is so cool, he is one of my fave guitarist!!!! AND OF COURSE ray JOHNSON, THE GODFATHER OF MAIL ART..nice!!!   Great info on punk-rock- and mail art i did not know about..Thanx! Wow, can't believe you saw Throbbing Gristle DVS!!! There used to be a great experimental band in Connecticut called the "Anglion Audio Theater" with an "electric -toy-lama instrument! Did see skinny puppy once which was a wild and very artistic show, they had a real tree on stage with all kinds of artsy stuff on it..

As a follow up, I came across a Johnny Marr interview that says The Smiths were planning a disco album when they broke up. In retrospect it seems like a terrible idea that, luckily, didn't happen.

http://www.nme.com/news/the-smiths/83215

No Smiscso for us! Oh well.

RSS

Support

Want to support the IUOMA with a financial gift via PayPal?

The money will be used to keep the IUOMA-platform alive. Current donations keep platform online till 1-july-2024. If you want to donate to get IUOMA-publications into archives and museums please mention this with your donation. It will then be used to send some hardcopy books into museums and archives. You can order books yourself too at the IUOMA-Bookshop. That will sponsor the IUOMA as well.

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

© 2024   Created by Ruud Janssen.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service