When the IUOMA was 20 years, the members managed to send in enough texts for a complete book. With the 25 year celebration, that wasn't that succesful. Too little materials.
Maybe a retry for 2018? Are there some authors amongst you who care to write about the state of the Mail-Art network in the new century
Already 11 articles are submitted and there is room for more.
So the book will be published, with or without you.
I aim at a book of 150-256 pages. Each author will have his short biography included. Deadline for submissions is September 2017, In October the book will be launched.
Some people ask about subjects to write on. Suggestions that are open:
1. Mail-Art in the age of Internet.
2. Is digital work also Mail-Art?
3. History of Mail-Art for someone who enters the network in this decade.
4. Mail-Art catalogues or websites?
5. Male dominance in the Mail-Art network?
6. Postal Tactical Gear: Enduring Political Storm
7. Mail Art Culinary Tips and Beauty Care
8. Non PC Postcards to Share with Friends and Family
9. Adventures of Sharpie: The Story Continues
10. Attention Grabbing Mail
11. Mail-Art on Wikipedia. Is the right story told?
12. What will happen to the Mail-Art Archives that mail-artists have built?
13. How to create a Mail-Art exhibition.
14. Will the new children ever exchange their tablet and smartphone for a postage stamp?
15. Is Mail-Art dead?
16. Mail-Artists working places. Overview based on the group online.
17. Choose your own special topic and/or subject.
Hi Enrique, Thanks for your reaction. Sounds like a good article you plan to write. Will publish a document with details soon. Your questions:
1.Deadline will be september 1st 2017 for sending in concepts of texts
2. Minimum and/or maximun not set yet.
3. Download as PDF will be possible for free for participants. Hardcopy book will be sold (no funds to send all aythors a book for free through).
with best wishes,
muchas gracias !
just one thing more: I was asking if there were, by any chance, a downloadable or printed available book of the 20th anniversary (2008? I guess), or maybe I understood wrong and there was no book but just a lot of texts... either way, thanks for your replay, and I will keep an eye on the future gathering document
The 20 years book was published:
Hi John, That will be useful to know. Yes, could use someone to proofread!
Instructions for authors for “the book for IUOMA 1988-2018” (work title) 1. Please send your concepts in a Word-file. Other formats can be accepted when they are accessible (no scan’s or PDF please) 2. Deadline for the final versions is 30 September 2017. So send you concepts earlier so they can be checked and proofread. After this deadline no new texts will be added. 3. Only topics that fit the complete line of the book van be added to the final book. Please ask in advance whether a topic is relevant or not. Don’t want to have too many articles on same subjects. Subjects should deal with IUOMA, Networking, Mail-art, Communication and Art, Mail-Art in the Digital times, History and future of the Mail-Art Network, etc… 4. Texts should be sent in English language. Several pages and may include a few illustrations too. Minimal 2 pages, maximal 20 pages for an in-dept article. 5. Book will be printed through LuLu with an ISBN number and softcover and hardcover version. Colour cover, inside will be B&W. 6. Free PDF-version will be available for all authors. Unfortunately, there are no funds to send hardcopy versions to the authors.
the word count isn´t the criteria for me. Too short or too long only starts when the text doesn´t speak to the readers. So I will not set clear criteria in this. I believe in diversity inside the book. Hope that makes sense.
Small update on the book. I started with the editing and added the first articles to the book.Also the ISBN number is reserved:
ISBN 978-1-365-86498-8 , Published by TAM-Publications, Breda, Netherlands, 2017
The first titles that are accepted:
So when you send in an article, also include a small Bio about yourself.