Mine was...hunger.

Views: 513

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Funny you should ask.  Did a little light reading of my Fowler's Modern English Usage and paused over 'drouth'. I keep saying it. And it was this that stayed too: 'while I sit here with a pestering Drouth for words,' S.Heaney

i've never heard of Drouth....so do share....what does it mean?

i will shower a drouth through and through. beautiful word. i suppose. from my limited knowledge...perhaps if you are game we should make an art piece centered on that word. 

spot  (so far)

in regards...i write:::::  CLOTHESLINE

Cat Stevens ...love that song.

It's a variant of dought and means dryness of climate, and thirst. My book says it's common in Scotland, England and America.  I can imagine it in Scotland but have certainly never heard it in America or England.  So, I thought it was sort of a pair with your word, hunger, and Heaney's comment  - Irish poet -  love the idea of a thirst for words and a drought of words all in one word.  And it really was my word of the day. But maybe you were asking how we felt instead.  I am painfully literal!

no...you were correct with literal.  i meant word. not feelings.  :-)    it is interesting.  I have likewise always found it amazingly interesting that in the English language the word "DESSERT" -as in yummy apple pie......and "DESERT" as in the Gobi....are only one letter apart! 

Yes! I like the idea of drouth art. Each or as an add?

I vote we give it a go....what do you think?

Tournedos

Today's word for me is....  Structure       hmmm...sounds fitting for a Monday huh? How bout yours? Sorry I haven't been posting on this thread for so long...have been quite aways but have finally returned to Internet land! 

RSS

Support

Want to support the IUOMA with a financial gift via PayPal?

The money will be used to keep the IUOMA-platform alive. Current donations keep platform online till 1-july-2024. If you want to donate to get IUOMA-publications into archives and museums please mention this with your donation. It will then be used to send some hardcopy books into museums and archives. You can order books yourself too at the IUOMA-Bookshop. That will sponsor the IUOMA as well.

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

© 2024   Created by Ruud Janssen.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service