Views: 233

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I'm a newcomer to mail art - despite many years spent on art courses. So my take on this is a bit different. The continuing attention to Ray Johnson reminds me of every other form of art I've studied ... there are key figures past and present that it's good to more than just know about. So as long as he's not the only big name ever mentioned, and the place on the pedestal's not continually questioned, this seems worth people's time and effort ... I've convinced myself. I'll print it off.

What I could do with is that list of suggestions that tutors rattle off, "You could also look at ..."?

Seeing this 19th century piece recently put a different context on it all for me.

Thanks for your comment Jennifer. It is good to hear different points of view. I hope you send something for the show.

Yes ... I've printed it off and am cogitating. I sleep on ideas. Sleep a lot.

I'm a newcomer to mail art - despite many years spent on art courses. So my take on this is a bit different. The continuing attention to Ray Johnson reminds me of every other form of art I've studied ... there are key figures past and present that it's good to more than just know about. So as long as he's not the only big name ever mentioned, and the place on the pedestal's not continually questioned, this seems worth people's time and effort ... I've convinced myself. I'll print it off.

What I could do with is that list of suggestions that tutors rattle off, "You could also look at ..."?

Seeing this 19th century piece recently put a different context on it all for me.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Want to support the IUOMA with a financial gift via PayPal?

The money will be used to keep the IUOMA-platform alive. Current donations keep platform online till 1-oct-2020.   If you want to donate to get IUOMA-publications into archives and museums please mention this with your donation. It will then be used to send some hardcopy books into museums and archives. You can order books yourself too at the IUOMA-Bookshop. That will sponsor the IUOMA as well.

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

© 2019   Created by Ruud Janssen.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service