How do you organize your incoming MailArt:

- in binders or boxes or... for the old pieces

- on display boards or framed or... for the recent pieces

- in chronological order, by artist, by call?

For those of you who hold events, what are your recommendations?

Photos are welcome.

Views: 268

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am new to IUOMA so have not started organizing my mail art yet but I am beginning to see the need for some form of organization already. I am thinking of binding the postcards by hand and creating medium-sized books that I can leave lying around my studio. I don't think I'll put them in any special order. As for other mail art, such as the 8-1/2 x 11 add and passes, I have to think more about a solution for those. I may put those in a binder. 

Thank you. I like the books idea. I may use small books that I will put in the lounge for our guests. At the moment, there are old MailArt pieces pinned on two cork boards in the lounge, piles also in the lounge close to my computer, a few pieces on my desk and others in a big box in my den. I am also thinking of making a few frames to be hung in the corridor. If I finally hold an exhibition some day, the books and frames can be displayed right away :D.

Putting them in frames is a great idea too. Sounds as if you have a huge amount of MailArt to organize. :-) An exhibition would be fun.

I file mine in accordian files by name. Sometimes, though, I may only receive one or two pieces from a person, so those go into a slot marked "One or two", though occasionally one of those stragglers do graduate to a slot with their very own name. When the file is stuffed, I start a new one.

Thank you!

Comment j'organise les M A , reçus  ...et envoyés ?

Je t'envoie très prochainement  un M A , avec une image  pour l'expliquer ...

Ce sera  à toi de l'exposer si tu veux !

Merci Richard. J'attends ton MA avec impatience !

I like it, Richard! Does this mean you store your mail art anywhere you can find a spot? Very creative. :-)

In cardboard boxes.

There is a danger here -- one can spend more time organising, cataloging, filing, etc Mail art than making it. If I wanted to be a librarian/cataloguer, I wouldn't be here.

There's another danger -- spending too much time talking about b logging, scanning etc Mail Art than making it.

Instead of adding anything else to this discuission, why not send me some Mail Art? You'd feel good, and I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

I don't make mail art 100% of the day; I don't even make it 5% of my day, because I have many other interests. At the end of the day during my only down time, I enjoy reading about those interests on the computer, looking at others' art, etc. The subject above was one that interested me, especially since one of my favorite things to do is make handmade books. Mail art made into books...I love that idea, so I wanted to share it.  Also, I'm learning from others here about mail art and different aspects of it. Therefore, I don't find it a waste of time, to say nothing of a danger. It's bed time. I'm under the covers, and using the laptop. I certainly won't be using this time to make mail art.  :-) 

Thanks Terry, I read recently that computing or kindle-ing just before you go to sleep messes up your sleep patterns -- something to do with refracted light and the brain -- so take care. Perhaps you need a  pet, stuffed toy, or, dare I say it, a person, to take to bed to help you sleep. Happy Xmas!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Want to support the IUOMA with a financial gift via PayPal?

The money will be used to keep the IUOMA-platform alive. Current donations keep platform online till 1-mar-2019.   If you want to donate to get IUOMA-publications into archives and museums please mention this with your donation. It will then be used to send some hardcopy books into museums and archives. You can order books yourself too at the IUOMA-Bookshop. That will sponsor the IUOMA as well.

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

© 2017   Created by Ruud Janssen.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service