Does anyone else here do Haiga?

Most folks have heard of Haiku -- where three lines provide a snapshot of a moment in time -- but few know of Haiga -- where a fourth element (an image) is added to the work.

A haiga is NOT an "illustrated haiku" because the understanding CHANGES when the image is included.  So if you read the haiku part separately, you would NOT have the same impression as you would with the image included.

Here, for example, is one of mine. First the haiku part:

summer gold

cerulean blue

sun power

The completed haiga can be viewed at

http://lois4atcs.blogspot.com/2009/10/haiga-3.html

Wishing you all a great new mail-art year! -- Lois Richter

Tags: haiga, haiku, image, ku, sunflower

Views: 155

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is intriguing. I'd never heard of Haiga's before. The image certainly adds another dimension to the Haiku.  My (feeble) attempts to write Haikus almost always attempt to form, in the reader's mind, a visual image or association. I wonder what happens when I add an image as a Haiga -- is the Haiga similiar/identical to the Haiku image, and, if so, in what ways can/does it reinforce it? If not, how can, or even should, the 2 images -- one visual and explicit, the other poetic and implicit -- be reconciled?

This has  given me something to think about this Sunday.

Hi!

Or Hai!

OK, Theresa, I'm hooked -- what's a haibun?

I'm sure it's not someting like a cinnamonbun, so do tell, please.

Here's the image;  perhaps haiga will make more sense when you can see all four parts.

RSS

Support

Want to support the IUOMA with a financial gift via PayPal?

The money will be used to keep the IUOMA-platform alive. Current donations keep platform online till 1-july-2024. If you want to donate to get IUOMA-publications into archives and museums please mention this with your donation. It will then be used to send some hardcopy books into museums and archives. You can order books yourself too at the IUOMA-Bookshop. That will sponsor the IUOMA as well.

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

© 2024   Created by Ruud Janssen.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service