Three years ago I was in an international art journal exchange which proved to be a fascinating experience. Unfortunately though, my journal during the last leg of its journey, was lost en route to India. For at least six months I never gave up the hope that the journal would show up. But it didn't and it truly was the most brilliant piece of artwork I've ever owned. That journal was a beautiful collaborative effort combining so many different art styles and culture. But maybe I can try this experiment again here at IUOMA?

In October I would like to send out a composition notebook to anyone who'd like to have the experience of combining their work with other artists.  I will start with partially completing four pages of ideas in the way of, but not limited to, drawings, poems, collage and or paintings. The person who receives the book would expand on those ideas with their art. They could finish all the pages I've started or just add to each one.  As well, they would have to add their own work on some blank pages for the next person and so on. As it is a composition notebook one would have to apply a thick coat of gesso and/or glue together two pages before applying wet medium.  However, other than trying to keep the integrity of the book in good order, there will be no rules in what you want to say through art in this book. 

I picked a composition notebook as what we'd work with since it is not an expensive item and I want this exchange to be inclusive not exclusive.  Ideally it would be great to start with at least four partners. Each person would have to start their own notebooks, complete four pages of art and be ready for the first shipment in October.  It would be great if we could keep the momentum going for at least 8 months to a year before each person received their book back.

So here is what your commitment would look like:

1. A cost of between $8 - $12 per month in shipping costs.
  2. Time put aside for rendering ideas/art on 3 to 4 pages of your notebook per month as well as adding to your partners work.
  3. Doing whatever is possible to not hold up your notebook. If you are going away, you'd need to send it early rather than have everyone wait.
  4. A desire to do your best work and to share your gift with others.

Please contact me here at this discussion thread or send me a message if you are interested in a collaborative notebook exchange. I hope there will be a few interested parties!

Views: 163

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think this is a cool idea. I'd be interested in participating!

RSS

Support

Want to support the IUOMA with a financial gift via PayPal?

The money will be used to keep the IUOMA-platform alive. Current donations keep platform online till 1-july-2024. If you want to donate to get IUOMA-publications into archives and museums please mention this with your donation. It will then be used to send some hardcopy books into museums and archives. You can order books yourself too at the IUOMA-Bookshop. That will sponsor the IUOMA as well.

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

© 2024   Created by Ruud Janssen.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service