I am sometimes confused about mailart and so I hesitate to send because I

want to do it right.  I have heard conflicting opinions about what is actually mailart.

Maybe all of them are true and acceptable??

*Mailart should be on the addressed and stamped side of the work. (that is the only side to be

displayed?)....... so what about postcards?

*Mailart is what is on the OUTside of the envelope... not what is inside, so empty art

envelopes are good........... so what about ATCs? (too small to mail alone)

*ANYthing you send through the mail can be mailart.  The object itself being the art.

*Mailart can be in any medium you chose.

Please give me any advice concerning the above statements.  I need a better understanding of

what is expected and acceptable.

Thank you,

Dawn

Views: 428

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Make some art -- postcard, letter whatever you like.

Put a stamp and address on it somewhere.

Mail it to ME.

Thankyou.

That's what Mail Art is all about..

..sending, and receiving...

And I will mail you something back.

Just do it.

Don't intellectualise it.

Val

For me :

- "Mailart is what is on the OUTside of the envelope... not what is inside, so empty art envelopes are good". ATC is Art but not mailart.

- Yes  : "Anithing you send through the mail can be mailart.  The object itself being the art."

- And of course : "Mailart can be in any medium you chose."

Have a good day. Liberty

13.10.14  Dare Ms. Liberty,...yes, let's dance still yet once again to this one..."mail art is"  & "mail art isn't"..."this" & or "that"...the classical "Correspondance" . I've always felt that an ATC was naught but a canape in the world of mail art...& that mail art was whatever I said it was...but then again, isn't that what they all say???  & with a moniker like "Liberty", I'm sure you will agree--almost anything goes... Ave uh nez dae yur sef. Richard Canard....Post Scriptum: Did Ms. Dawn Mudore ever graduate???

All is acceptable, nothing is expected. Surprise the postal office and also the receiver.

So don't expect too many rules but be creative.

RJ

I like my mail art toasted, with jam.

RSS

Support

Want to support the IUOMA with a financial gift via PayPal?

The money will be used to keep the IUOMA-platform alive. Current donations keep platform online till 1-july-2024. If you want to donate to get IUOMA-publications into archives and museums please mention this with your donation. It will then be used to send some hardcopy books into museums and archives. You can order books yourself too at the IUOMA-Bookshop. That will sponsor the IUOMA as well.

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

Bewaren

© 2024   Created by Ruud Janssen.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service